The idea for these white chocolate cups came from one of my favorite chefs on the Food Network channel. It is not my invention but it is still SO GOOD!!! It requires some time spent in the kitchen, and most importantly, patience. The right technique for making the mascarpone cream is also important for achieving a high level of lightness.
For chocolate cups:
1 bag of white chocolate morsels (I used the ones made by Ghirardelli: it is personal preference; I just happen to like this brand more than the others.)
8 paper muffin cups (I got the ones that have paper lining inside but the outside is reinforced by tinfoil)
For mascarpone filling:
4 oz of dark chocolate
1 cup whipping cream
3 tbsp sugar
8 oz mascarpone
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pastry bag
- Melt some of the white chocolate over simmering water bath with constant stirring. Add about 1 tbsp of the melted white chocolate to the muffin cups. Spread the chocolate with a pastry brush. (I didn’t have one at the time and I used a knife to evenly spread the chocolate.) Let the cups set in the fridge for about 30 minutes (that’s what I meant in the beginning about the importance of being patient).
- After 30 minutes take them out of the fridge and add another layer of the melted white chocolate. If the white chocolate has become too hard to spread out, re-melt it before using it. Once the second layer is added, place the cups back in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- In a bowl mix the sugar with the whipped cream until soft peaks are formed.
- Melt the dark chocolate over a pot with simmering water. Set aside and let it cool completely. After it has cooled down, add it to a bowl along with the mascarpone, the orange zest and the vanilla, and mix with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds. Make sure you don’t overmix it.
- With a wooden spoon fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture in 2 batches mixing in one direction ONLY (This technique is essential.).
- Place the cream in a pastry bag. Remove the paper lining of the muffin cups, so that you are left with the chocolate cups. Pipe the filling in the cups. Decorate with white chocolate shavings.
- You can serve these cups immediately, or refrigerate overnight.