I found this recipe in the cookbook I was given as a Christmas gift. It is a recipe by one of the world famous chefs, Gordon Ramsay. His creative cooking style has inspired me. This dessert is very easy to prepare and very elegant. Your guests will be impressed and you will most definitely be asked for the recipe.
200 g Icelandic chocolate, semisweet (45% cocoa) – I used Icelandic chocolate. It sounded too exotic and fancy but you can get any kind that you find at your local store. It just needs to be semisweet.
3/4 cup mascarpone
3 tbsp confectioners sugar
6 tbsp strong espresso, cooled (Make sure you get a good quality coffee. I used Lavazza.)
200 mL heavy cream
6 tbsp heavy cream
semisweet grated chocolate
few crushed amaretti cookies
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a small saucepan over a larger pot with simmering water. I add a little butter (1 tbsp) to it as it melts. The butter adds additional shine and creaminess to the melted chocolate. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool.
- Beat the mascarpone cheese and confectioners sugar together until a smooth cream is formed.
- Whisk in the espresso and the melted chocolate. Adding 1 tsp of vanilla extract, rum or other flavored liqueur will make the taste even better. I added a teaspoon of rum essence, just to have a hint of rum (adding too much rum masks the coffee and chocolate, and you most definitely want a good balance between the three flavors).
- In a separate bowl whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add a little bit of the whipped cream at a time to the mascarpone/espresso/chocolate mixture and fold it. For those who are not familiar with the technique, folding the whipped cream into the mixture is done with a wooden spoon which you rotate in one direction only. Do not change the direction, otherwise the fluffiness of the mousse will not be achieved. Do not mix it too much, only until the cream is fully incorporated; you don’t want your mousse to become liquid.
- Spoon the mousse into cappuccino cups, and chill overnight.
- Right before serving, whip some heavy cream and spoon it over the chilled mousse. Grate some chocolate over it and sprinkle with crushed amaretti cookies. If you want, you can add toasted nuts that you have crushed (almonds or hazelnuts will work the best).